Knowing how to clean your toilet properly without breaking too much of a sweat is one of the niftiest tricks a person can have up their sleeve when it comes to keeping on top of the housework. It’s hardly one of the most pleasant jobs there is, but with these simple steps it needn’t be so much of a chore. Someone, after all, has got to do it!
How often should you clean your toilet?
‘How often should I clean my toilet?’ It’s a question many of us ask ourselves, perhaps wondering if we are doing it enough. The answer is that you can’t really clean your toilet too much, but Lysol® recommends you clean your toilet weekly.
What to use to clean a toilet
Before you tackle the task, make sure you have everything you need to clean a toilet with:
- A toilet brush
- Lysol® Power Bathroom Cleaner
- Lysol® Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Paper towels or cloths
- Lysol® Click Gel Toilet Bowl Cleaner
So, how do you clean a toilet properly?
When it comes to cleaning a dirty toilet, you should follow these easy steps that cover both its inside and outside for maximum cleanliness. Remember to follow the protective statement on each product before using:
How to clean inside the toilet bowl:
- First flush the toilet
- To clean inside the toilet bowl as well as under the rim, apply 4oz of liquid toilet bowl cleaner such as Lysol Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner to coat the bowl and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Use a toilet brush and scrub the inside of the toilet bowl, including under the rim. You can find out how to deep clean the rim’s jets here.
- Next, flush the toilet.
How to clean outside the toilet:
- Once you have cleaned the bowl, spray outside of the toilet with your bathroom cleaner of choice such as Lysol® Power Bathroom Cleaner according to usage instructions.
- Wipe the outside of the toilet including under the seat, making sure to clean behind the toilet and all those hard-to reach places.
- Make sure to also use Lysol® Power Bathroom Cleaner and a paper towel to clean the toilet’s trickier parts, such as the knobs that keep the toilet seat on.
- Finally use Lysol® Disinfecting Wipes over the lid of your toilet and on the flush handle.
Our Lysol® Toilet Bowl Cleaners are only for use in toilet bowls, bidets, urinals, porcelain and vitreous China.
How to clean toilet bowl stains
If you want to know how to remove toilet stains and toilet rings around the bowl, you can find out our best specific stain removal tips below.
How to remove limescale from a toilet
If you’re dealing with chalky-looking, off-white marks in your toilet, you’ll need to know the best way to clean toilet stains caused by limescale. These hard water toilet stains are caused by water passing through soft rocks such as chalk and limestone, therefore, picking up minerals that can cause stubborn toilet stains. The best toilet cleaner for stains such as these in our range is Lysol® Power Toilet Bowl CleanerLime & Rust Remover. Follow these simple steps for either toilet cleaner to remove hard toilet stains above and below the waterline:
- Flush your toilet to remove any excess grime
- Apply a generous amount of product directly onto the stains.
- Let it soak for 15 minutes, keeping the toilet lid open.
- Brush the entire bowl thoroughly with a bowl brush and flush the toilet again.
- Follow back of pack instructions for removing tough stains.
How to remove rust stains in toilet
Often brown or orange stains in the toilet are a result of hard water that has passed through the bowl, leaving traces of minerals behind. In particular, rust stains in the toilet can be blamed on the water coming into contact with iron minerals, which leave a red residue when they come into contact with the air.
These rust stains are particularly stubborn and tend to leave a brown ring in the toilet. The best toilet stain remover in our range for getting rid of these tough toilet stains our Lysol® Lime & Rust Remover – simply follow the same steps you would for getting rid of limescale in the toilet!
How to deep clean your toilet parts
Sometimes, our toilet requires an exhaustive clean of its respective parts. If this is the case, you can find out how to tackle each individual section here:
How to keep your toilet clean
The most obvious way to keep your toilet fresh and hygienic is to clean it regularly. In addition to this however, you could also consider getting one of our Lysol® Click Gel Toilet Bowl Cleaners to keep your toilet smelling fresh and clean in-between deep cleans with Lysol® Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner.
Please note: Always use Lysol® products as directed on the label.
With Lysol®’s wide range of powerful toilet cleaners, you can be sure to get rid of toilet stains with ease! We can’t promise you’re going to love cleaning the toilet, but with these tips you’ll be able to get your toilet clean, fresh-smelling and sparkling, with minimal effort and maximum