How to Clean Trash Cans
It goes without saying that germs live in and around your trash can. Thanks to leftover food, drinks, containers and more, your trash can requires regular maintenance. Without this, it will not only develop an unpleasant odor, but carry bacteria that can be harmful to you and your family.
How to clean your trash can
First, here are some of our top tips for minimizing germs and bad smells surrounding your bin:
- Use a garbage bag with a lid to keep bad smells contained.
- Opt for a smaller trash can and try to empty it daily; you can collect weekly smaller bags in a large one for trash collection day.
- Make it easier to stick to a schedule by cleaning the can thoroughly every trash day.
You should wipe down the outside of the trash can and lid daily with Lysol® Disinfecting Wipes. And, every time that you take out the trash, give the inside of the trash can a spray with Lysol® Disinfectant Spray before you put in a new bag. This will help to kill the bacteria that causes odors.
Don’t forget to deep clean
In addition to weekly cleans, you should try to give your trash can a deep clean once a month. We recommend using Lysol® Kitchen Pro Antibacterial Cleaner when you do your deep clean:
- Spray the inside and outside of the trash can as well as the lid.
- Leave for 30 seconds to sanitize, or 2 minutes to disinfect.
- Wipe away. If you stick with these useful pointers, it shouldn’t be so unpleasant when the time comes to clean your trash can.